Prof. Kaneto Uekama (Professor Emeritus of Kumamoto Uuniversity, Advisor of the Society of Cyclodextrins, Japan) was awarded the Order of the Sacred Treasure, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon. This order is the most widely conferred Japanese order established in 1888 by Emperor Meiji.
His first publication on cyclodextrin is dated back to 1974 with the title: Circular dichroism study on inclusion complexes of ß-cyclodextrin with antiinflammatory fanamates (J. Pharm. Sci., 63, 1168-1169). The last paper was published in December:
A thermoresponsive hydrophobically modified hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose/cyclodextrin injectable hydrogel for the sustained release of drugs (Int. J. Pharm. 575:118845).
Some examples of his reviews on pharmaceutical application of cyclodextrin are still frequently cited:
- Inclusion complexes of cyclodextrins with organic drug molecules (Jpn. J. Antibiot., 1979, 32(Suppl.), S103-S111)
- Pharmaceutical applications of methylated cyclodextrins (Pharm. Int., 1985, 6(3), 61-65)
- Cyclodextrins in drug carrier systems. (Crit Rev Ther Drug Carrier Syst. 1987, 3, 1-40)
- New perspective for use of cyclodextrins as drug carriers (Pharm Tech Jpn., 1991, 7, 143-50)
- Pharmaceutical applications of cyclodextrins. Toxicological issues and safety evaluation ) J. Pharm. Sci. 1997, 86, 147-162)
- Cyclodextrin Drug Carrier Systems (Chem. Rev. 1998, 98, 2045-2076)
- Cyclodextrins in peptide and protein delivery (Adv. Drug Delivery Rev. 1999, 36, 101-123)
- Recent aspects of pharmaceutical application of cyclodextrins (J. Incl. Phenom. Macrocycl. Chem., 2003, 44, 3-7)
Number of his publications in Publon (Web of Science): 397, citations: 11,745, H-index: 53 and in Research Gate: 358 publications, citations: 12,380.