The idea of producing cyclodextrin-enabled edible film coating on food items to improve the shelf life goes back to 1983 when Nippon Oils Co. applied for a patent on spraying a mixture of cyclodextrin, glucose, maltose and other oligosaccharides on food product to form transparent edible films.  Cyclodextrin was used as a carrier for deterioration inhibitor. Canadian researchers disclosed in 1992 a polysaccharide film with dinitrosyl ferrochemochrome encapsulated by beta-cyclodextrin to be used in nitrite-free meat processing for improving the color .
After this, long time passed till recently the topic gained attention again:
Glucomannan, chitosan, guar gum and carragenan films with antibiotic/BCD complex were claimed for packaging fruits, vegetables and hot-sterilized food .
Pullalan and carboxymethyl cellulose films with natamycin/cyclodextrin complex as preservative were found to improve the appearance of fruits and vegetables and reduce their rotting rate by inhibiting the propagation of bacteria during storage. 
Chitosan-based edible films containing preservatives and CD formed by spraying on kiwi fruit or slices elongated the period of freshness. 
CD was used as deodorant and sustained release agent in cellulose sodium sulfate films with essential oils as preservatives. 
Controlled-release antibacterial edible package using thyme camphor as preservative and gelatin for film forming was also disclosed. 
Starch film for lollipop , lactalalbumin film for chewing gum , collagen film for food  have been recently claimed using BCD to improve the properties.
Edible gelatin coating enriched with curcumin/CD complex improved the quality and extended the shelf life of carp fillets stored at 4 oC. 
- Hiroshi, K. Edible film. JPS5618555, 1981
- Rubin, L.J., Diosady, L., O’Boyle, A., Kassam, N., Shahidi, F. Nitrite-free meat curative and process for curing meat. WO9203223, 1992
- Xu, P.J. Edible water resistant, high temperature resistant composite gel antibiotic film and its preparing method. CN1781978, 2006
- Li, B., Ma, S., An, C. Vegetable and fruit coating preservative and preparation method thereof. CN102316619, 2012
- Bao, W.Q. Kiwi fruit preservative and preparation method thereof. CN103704327, 2014
- Chen, G., Liu, B., Chen, H., Lin, Y., Zhang, G. Preparation method of long-acting antibacterial edible film with sustained release effect. CN103910911, 2014
- Li, M., Wu, Q., Liu, Z., Chen, J., Yang, X., Cui, M. Active antibacterial edible package with controlled release function and preparation method thereof. CN103865276, 2014
- Mi, W. Edible lollipop packaging film. CN105254926, 2016
- Mi, W. Edible chewing gum packaging film. CN105400213, 2016
- Zhai, D. Antioxidant collagen membrane and preparation method thereof. CN107383895, 2017
- Sun, X., Guo, X., Ji., M. et al. Preservative effects of fish gelatin coating enriched with CUR/βCD emulsion on grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idellus) fillets during storage at 4 °C. Food Chemistry, 2019, 272, 643-652